Because so many others couldn’t or can’t, I must.
(2) What was your biggest legal accomplishment last year?
I’m not sure if last academic year counts as “last year” but being promoted to Assistant Dean of Career Services at Detroit Mercy Law was pretty great!
(3) Who is your female mentor?
My mentor is Melissa Graves, WBA past president and a partner at Collins Einhorn Farrell. She’s an amazing attorney, mother, wife, friend, and supporter of women lawyers. We worked together for about five years and in that five years, she always had time for me – whether it was to talk about an issue in a case, an issue in the office, or an issue in my personal life. She encouraged me to join WBA and showed me the value in the organization. She encouraged me to take a leap of faith and leave the firm to join Detroit Mercy Law, when I needed someone besides me to believe I was making the right decision. She’s fun and hilarious and thoughtful and improves the lives of everyone she meets.
(4) What do you find most challenging as an attorney?
Really good writing. It’s an art and there’s room for improvement with even the best writers.
(5) What advice do you have for law students and new lawyers?
In law school, experience as much as you possibly can. Don’t tell yourself you’re too busy – you’re not. Also, learn how to move on from failures. Every attorney has them and has to learn from them and keep going.
(6) If you could go back, what would you do differently?
I don’t think I’d do anything differently. Everything I’ve ever done brought me to where I am right now.
(7) What local restaurant can you not live without?
This is tough, because there are so many good places to eat! I have to say Boodles in Madison Heights. My husband and I have been going there for 15 years. The food, cocktails, and service are outstanding.
(8) What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Go to UM football games with my husband and son.
(9) What is the best thing about being a WBA – Oakland Region of WLAM member?
Meeting so many fantastic and inspirational women lawyers.